Ontario Bungling access requests

Posted: May 30, 2007 in Caledonia, Home Grown Terrorism in Canada, McGuinty

TORONTO — An Ontario government promise to make the freedom of information process more “open and transparent” has gone unfulfilled as orders to disclose internal documents are ignored, the province’s Information and Privacy Commissioner said yesterday.

Ann Cavoukian’s annual report found that requests for documents last year under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act hit a record high of 36,739, but the government still hasn’t figured out how to properly and fairly manage the process.

Conservative Leader John Tory said his party has submitted countless requests for government information and documents but has mostly been stonewalled.

The party says a request for information about the continuing aboriginal occupation in Caledonia still hasn’t been fulfilled after about 325 days. New Democratic Leader Howard Hampton said that response is too late and the government’s lack of disclosure is another example of Mr. McGuinty’s broken promises.

Read the full story here

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s