Archive for May, 2007

Aboriginal Affairs Minister David Ramsay is threatening to pull Ontario from the negotiating table to resolve the Caledonia standoff if native leaders cannot rein in natives from staging more protests and land occupations like the one in Hagersville last week.

“That’s my inclination,” Ramsay said last night, indicating it might even involve a meeting tomorrow in which Ottawa is to make a “big offer” to settle the Caledonia dispute by trying to make good on two land claims in the Dunnville area.

“I don’t see the point of going back to the table. It doesn’t make sense. This lawlessness breaking out is not acceptable. Quite frankly, it will not be tolerated.”

The minister made his comments after the Hagersville developer announced through his lawyer he was abandoning the multimillion dollar project because Six Nations Confederacy representatives told him they would not let it proceed without a fight.

“He (Valentini) has never been faced with this situation before,”  “It’s a small company. It’s he and his wife. This will bankrupt him.”

Haldimand Mayor Marie Trainer is calling on the Ontario government to get tough with native “radicals” and send the police into Hagersville to protect the development of a 90-unit townhouse development.

Read the full story here

Advertisements

TORONTO — An Ontario government promise to make the freedom of information process more “open and transparent” has gone unfulfilled as orders to disclose internal documents are ignored, the province’s Information and Privacy Commissioner said yesterday.

Ann Cavoukian’s annual report found that requests for documents last year under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act hit a record high of 36,739, but the government still hasn’t figured out how to properly and fairly manage the process.

Conservative Leader John Tory said his party has submitted countless requests for government information and documents but has mostly been stonewalled.

The party says a request for information about the continuing aboriginal occupation in Caledonia still hasn’t been fulfilled after about 325 days. New Democratic Leader Howard Hampton said that response is too late and the government’s lack of disclosure is another example of Mr. McGuinty’s broken promises.

Read the full story here

May 30, 2007

In the May 23, 2007 issue of Turtle Island News, native spokeswoman Janie Jamieson stated that there were in fact firearms on the Douglas Creek Estates (DCE) reclamation site in Caledonia, this contrary to previous reports that no firearms had ever been taken onto the site.

Jamieson went on to say that on May 17, 2007, there was an incident in which a firearm was involved at Kanohnstaton, the name given by natives to the DCE site. The plan (by Jamieson) was to build heavily secured gates at entry points onto the site. Also, the Ontario Provincial Police will be allowed to continue aerial searches of the site according to Jamieson.

It appears that the incident with the AK47 was sparked by internal bickering over security at the reclamation site. One woman was quoted as saying that it was people currently on the site who were causing all the problems and that all adults except Carol Bomberry and Janie Jamieson had left the site fearing for their own safety.

CaledoniaWakeUpCall was notified by an eye witness who saw the suspect, waiving the firearm and threatening to kill someone. The eye witness reported this to OPP stationed near the DCE, but no attempt was made by the OPP to prevent the suspect from leaving the DCE.

The big question, apart from why are we just now ‘officially’ finding out there are indeed dangerous weapons on the DCE, but why did the OPP not attempt to prevent VanEvery from even leaving the DCE? He had an AK47, was waiving it around and threatening to shoot someone with it.

Read the full story here

In 2001, Indian Affairs (INAC) admitted that Canada had 2,666 reserves

By September 2006, INAC had a listing of 2,974 reserves in Canada
 

By April 2007, that same registry had a listing of 3,344 reserves in Canada
 

192 of these “new” reserves are described as “sub-surface”


What’s a sub-surface reserve?

In October 2003, the Internal Directive 10-2 was circulated throughout Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC).  This directive addresses Partial Subsurface Interest Additions and it effectively became a final policy as it was added to the Land Management Manual.

  • The purpose of this directive is to address the possibility of setting apart partial interests in mines and minerals as reserve under the conditions spelled out in the Policy section

.

  • The issue of setting apart partial interests in mines or minerals as reserve was raised when First Nations began purchasing partial interests in mines and minerals under specific claim settlements and/or treaty land entitlements.

What does this directive mean to Canadian jobs and the Canadian Economy?

In a nutshell, this directive gives First Nations the ability to delay and interfere with the exploration of natural resources.  With a minimal investment, any First Nation can become a partial owner and according to the words of Directive 10-2, consultation and agreement must first be obtained from every part owner prior to moving forward.   

In view of the approach to “keep everything natural”, this directive fits very nicely with the long term plans of interfering with the Canadian economy.   

Where are all these reserves coming from and who lives there?

 Read the full story here for a fascinating look at what’s coming for canada

CANADA IS A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS: the world’s most international society. Canada is making huge strides in eliminating racism, and promoting true equality.Sadly, one group refuses to accept the reality of Canada. These are the Indians, or Natives, or Aboriginals, or whatever the politically-correct term happens to be. They constitute fewer than four per cent of 30 million Canadians, but they cause great problems.

They refuse to accept the fact that they are immigrants, too, and that there were no truly original inhabitants of America.

Their myth is that they lived in harmony with nature, but, in fact, they were merely existing! Most tribes failed to thrive in either agriculture or manufacturing. They simply survived, killing wildlife and gathering wild nuts and berries.

Canada allows them to claim vast tracks of land for their exclusive use, but it’s never enough. Canada allows them to live a totally subsidised life on their reserves, never having to work if they choose not to.

Canada gives them every possible opportunity for education. Canada gives them special access to employment. The “natives” are never satisfied with the reparations they continue to receive, and they regularly denounce all other Canadians as “racist”.

Read the full article here 

Monte Sonnenberg
Monday May 28, 2007
Simcoe Reformer

It’s impossible to say when it happened, but somewhere along the way buck-passing became a defining characteristic of this country’s political culture.

Anytime our federal and provincial leaders are put to the test, the discussion degenerates into an endless round of finger-pointing. The people of Haldimand and beyond are certainly paying a hefty price for this. It’s been at work for 15 long months during the native standoff in Caledonia.

The weaklings at Queen’s Park responded by reining in police and promising the lawbreakers that the province would not call in the military. The province then appealed an entirely reasonable cease-and-desist order from a judge in Cayuga. Having created an absolute power vacuum, the province tosses this hot potato into the lap of the federal government. But with the province capitulating, Ottawa has no leverage. Where are the federal government’s bargaining chips?

Aboriginal Canadians will not end up with six miles on either side of the Grand River….

Read the full article here

In a suprising interview, Dalton McGuinty allowed himself to actually be asked about the upcoming day of Terrorism June 29th 2007. As the premier of Ontario, we should be able to look to him now for leadership during what we know are going to be increasingly tough times.

Sadly he has made it even more evident that we can not and should not trust him, because he has no idea what’s going on, and is only now addressing this because his opponent John Tory is running on a campaign that involves actual law and order.

Those who enjoyed  “Interview with Julian Fantino regarding Caledonia & 2 Tiered Justice” are likely to enjoy this. I’ll quote him verbatim and save my commentary for later.  

 Disclaimer: The interview you are about to read is 100% real. This is not a parody on my part. Mistakes in spelling reflect precisely the way Mr. McGuinty spoke the word, and mistakes in Grammar are his statements transcribed verbatim. 

When asked on CTV Question period point blank “what are you going to do about this” (the threat of a summer of railway shutdowns and promise of chaos at the hands of Mohawk warriors) McGuinty had this to say:

(more…)

Almost 12 years in the making, the human toll so far is this: There have been two untimely deaths. In bald numbers, there have been 139 witnesses and more than 23 months of testimony at a cost of more than $20 million. At one point, it was costing taxpayers more than half a million dollars a month — mostly in lawyers’ fees for all the disparate groups that had standing.

Finally, on Thursday, Justice Sidney Linden will release his long-anticipated report of the judicial inquiry into the 1995 death of native protester Dudley George at Ipperwash Provincial Park.

George was shot by OPP sniper Ken Deane Sept. 6, 1995, after a protest by a group of activists from the nearby Chippewa First Nation boiled over into violence at the Lake Huron park.

Read the full story here

Learn about what REALLY happened at Ipperwash HERE

(May 25, 2007)

Plans to extend and pave the Baptist Church parking lot in Caledonia were put to an end this week when native protesters showed up at the site and blocked workers. The work stoppage began Thursday, May 17 and and continued early Friday, May 18th.

Half a dozen native protesters, some wearing camouflage, stood in front of earth movers and on top of a gravel pile defying workers.

When the crews from Norton Construction arrived back on May 18th (Friday morning) the protesters shut them down and said they were not doing any more work. “They blocked our truck and trailer up then blockaded us in,” says McMaster.

The protesters said the Norton employees could not go anywhere because they wanted their five loads of dirt back. “We said no problem, you can have your dirt back, but that wasn’t good enough.”

Norton Construction even offered to put the dirt on the protesters’ trucks for them. “They said that wasn’t good enough.”

McMaster says the protesters wanted the dirt dropped on the property at DCE. “We didn’t want to do that because we thought that once we dropped the dirt off they would keep the trucks.”

The protesters were not removed from the site by police.

Read the full story here

Speaking on CTV’s Question Period, McGuinty said that the provinces and territories are often left to shoulder the burden of conflicts over land claims.

“Overwhelmingly, provinces and territories are caught up in peacekeeping missions, trying to settle a dispute, often a dispute that predates Confederation, between the federal government and a First Nations community,” he said.

McGuinty said he places a “heavy weight” on the shoulders of Prime Minister Stephen Harper to resolve the issue…

Read the full story here

Indian Affairs Minister Jim Prentice wants to speed up talks to settle First Nations land claims, but don’t expect him to embrace Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty’s suggestion to set up an independent body to settle the nation’s 800 outstanding clams.There’s just too much at stake for the federal government to give an independent body that kind of power.

And yet, the time has come for such a mechanism. The planned June 29 nationwide day of protest by First Nations bands impatient with the slow-moving process shows the practice of decades-long legal delays may be running out of time.

Read the full story here

OTTAWA — Fearing a hot summer of aboriginal protests across the country, two provincial premiers yesterday called on the federal government to speed up land-claims settlements.

Premiers Dalton McGuinty of Ontario and Danny Williams of Newfoundland and Labrador said the federal government must indicate quickly how it will deal with land claims, poverty and other root causes of unrest among Canada’s native bands.

McGuinty said it is provincial and local law-enforcement authorities who are forced into the role of peacekeepers when protests against federal land-claims policies turn ugly.

Read the full story here

The Hamilton Spectator

May 26, 2007:

I am getting tired of the OPP not doing their job in Caledonia, and with Julian Fantino making up excuses. The reason the OPP will not enforce the law in Caledonia is because of the tragedy at Ipperwash.

And it was a tragedy; now the OPP are afraid to confront any native people, even those who break the law right in front of their places. It was a tragedy that Dudley George was killed and it should not have happened, but the OPP are now an ineffectual police force as far as it comes to native disputes.

I say get the OPP out of Caledonia for that reason and bring in the RCMP. The natives themselves have stated that the only police force they recognize is the RCMP, so replacing the OPP with the RCMP would ensure the law is upheld on both sides of the dispute.

Courtesy of www.caledoniawakeupcall.com

I know I’m not the most knowledgable person when it comes to trying to figure out native land claims but I speak from the heart when I say there has to be an end to the dispruptions before someone else is killed.

I do know that the natives are perpetuating unfair hardships on all Canadians with their demands. They’ve taken away a sense of peace and security that we shouldn’t have to deal with in the year 2007 for something our ancestors did 200 years ago.

This full story and much more at www.caledoniawakeupcall.com

(May 25, 2007)

Native protesters forced a work stoppage at a Hagersville subdivision early Wednesday morning.

Early reports indicated the protesters were acting alone and did not represent the elected Six Nations Band Council nor the Hereditary Chiefs Council. “They didn’t tell us not to,” said self-appointed native spokesperson Dawn Smith who addressed a small group of media at approximately 9:30 am Wednesday morning.

“Our protest is with the government of Canada, not the people of Hagersville,” she said. She claimed the construction site was part of the Plank Road land claim even though the site is located well outside six miles from the Grand River which forms the boundary of the disputed Haldimand Tract.

Haldimand Mayor Marie Trainer said she was not totally surprised by the occupation even though it is located outside of the Haldimand Tract. “I think all of Canada is on their radar screen,” she said.

Read the full story here